Isle of Wight Cycle Route 8
17 Mile Moderate Isle of Wight Cycle Ride
Brading - Bembridge - St Helens - Seaview - Ryde - Upton - Brading
East Isle of Wight cycle route around taking in the seaside towns of Bembridge, Seaview and Ryde.
The ride can start in Brading, Bembridge, Seaview or Ryde where there are facilities for parking as well as shops and cafes for pre or post bike ride refreshment. The route described below starts in Brading where there is a large long stay car park. Jump to Cycle Ride Detailed Directions »
Brading has one of the oldest buildings still standing as well as an attractive village church which is well worth a look.
1. Leave Brading in the direction of Sandown till you reach a cross roads where you turn left onto Sandown Rd. Follow Sandown road and cross straight over the roundabout heading towards Bembridge.
2. The roads climbs a little as you go to the north of the Culver Downs and then descends down to a grass airfield and the Propeller Inn. Just after the Propeller Inn bear right onto Hillway Rd and follow the road through through Hillway until you reach a roundabout. Continue over the roundabout and into Bembridge.
Bembridge is an attractive little town with a selection of small shops and an attractive church. If you need a break there is a cafe or a deli restaurant.
3. Bear left after the butchers and cycle down the one way system past the church and then left again down to Bembridge harbour. Cycle along the Harbour's edge into St Helens and at the roundabout turn right. Cycle through St Helens and follow the road to Nettleston.
Nettleston has a small grocery shop which has cold drinks and some extra snacks in case you are running low on energy.
4. In Nettleston bear right at the junction in the direction of Seaview. After 600 meters bear right onto Old Seaview Ln and continue down till you reach the sea.
Seaview is a lovely place to stop and enjoy this pretty little seaside town. The beach at Seaview is a great place to take a little rest or go for a swim.
5. Head out of Seaview long the town centre seafront, along Bluett Avenue and along the seafront Rd heading towards Ryde. After almost a mile the road curves left and after 100 meters you turn right into the entrance of Puckpool Pool park. Ride through the park to emerge on the seafront route into Ryde which you follow till you join the road.
6. Follow the road towards the centre of Ryde and Ride Pier but at the roundabout by the Bowling centre take the first exit to Dover St. After 400 meters turn right onto Park Rd. After 250 meter turn left onto High St which turns into Upton Rd and takes you all the way into Upton where there is a roundabout.
7. Cross straight over the roundabout onto Gatehouse Rd which turns into Decons Ln and follow Decons Ln till you reach the junction with Ashey Rd.
8. Turn right onto Ashey Rd and then first left onto Green Ln which leads into West Ln and Coach Ln all the way into Brading.
Brading is the end point for this ride and you may wish to take refreshment at the Bugle Inn.
Isle of Wight Cycle Friendly Cottages En Route
Bembridge, Isle of Wight Cottages
Sleeps 4 + 2 in 2 bedrooms. Children welcome
This lovely detached cottage is within a 1 minute walk of the sea. It is in a wonderful walking area with the coastal path on your door step. A tea shop/bistro here offers a delightful spot to relax and enjoy the wonderful views of the sea and coastline and a public house, renowned for its lobster is also within a short walk. The cottage has been renovated to a high standard and provides very attractive accommodation for 4 with a ground floor bedroom and shower room offering easy access.
Sleeps 7 + 1 in 4 bedrooms
Stanwell Barn is a large stone barn which has recently been skilfully converted to provide superb accommodation. Original features such as exposed beams and stone walls have been retained. The property has been furnished and equipped to a high standard with under floor heating, and oak and tiled floors. It has a wonderful feeling of light and space. Apart from one bedroom all of the accommodation is on the ground floor.
Sleeps 6+1 in 3 bedrooms; Children welcome
Very attractively situated, beside the water, with beautiful open views to the sea across Bembridge Harbour. It is one of a small number of properties on a causeway, between the harbour and the water meadows, linking the seaside villages of St Helens and Bembridge. The centre of St. Helens, with its attractive village green, public house, shop and restaurants, is within a 5 minute walk.
New Property Sleeps 9 + 1 in 4 bedrooms; Children welcome
Lovely detached house is in the coastal village of Bembridge, on the East coast of the Isle of Wight. It provides very attractive, well equipped accommodation of a high standard with a large fenced garden with hot tub. Village centre with restaurants and small shops within 5 minutes walk. Sea and beach within 15 minutes walk. Bembridge is renowned for its quiet beaches, small sailing harbour, fish restaurants and specialist food shops.
New Cottage; Sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms
Stunning cottage near the sea at Bembridge on the East of the Isle of Wight. This family sized cottage is perfect for seaside holidays with the whole family and is within a short walk of the centre of Bembridge with a variety of excellent places to eat and drink. Caustons has been beautifully decorated and has been equipped with comfort and convenience in mind.
St Helens, Isle of Wight Cottages
Sleeps 4 + 1 in 2 bedrooms; Children welcome
This charming thatched cottage dates back more than two hundred years and has been owned by the same family for generations. It is a character cottage, which has retained many of its original features. It occupies an attractive central position in the small coastal resort of St Helens overlooking the village green where cricket is played.
Seaview, Isle of Wight Cottages
Sleeps 7 + 1 in 3 bedrooms; Children welcome
Bay View is beautifully situated beside the beach with panoramic sea views from most of the main rooms. It is in a peaceful location with the beach of Seagrove Bay only half a minute's walk away. Here swimming, paddling and boating can be enjoyed. There is also a footpath directly from the house to the beautiful sandy Priory Bay - a 5 minute walk away. The atmospheric village centre of Seaview, with its small shops, sailing club and restaurants is within a 7 minute stroll.
Sleeps 10 + 2 infants in 5 bedrooms; Children welcome
This spacious house is splendidly situated immediately beside the sea. A stroll across the lawn leads to the beach where swimming, beach sports and boating can be enjoyed. A yacht can also be privately moored. There are spectacular, and panoramic sea views from the main rooms in the house and from the garden. Bonny Blink is in the quiet seaside village of Seaview on the east side of the Isle of Wight, commanding views across the Solent and the open sea. The pleasant village centre is less than a five minute walk away. Ferries can be booked for you at greatly discounted prices.
New Cottage; Sleeps 8 in 4 bedrooms
Light and spacious holiday cottage within a short walk of three excellent sandy beaches around Seaview on the East of the Isle of Wight. Iona is a modern and luxurious self catering cottage idea for family holidays on the Isle of Wight.